Coordinating Committee of Syndicate Labour-Basra
Due to the complex circumstances facing the trade union movement in Iraq, such as:
- The continuous application of Saddam’s defunct dictatorial regime unjust labour law that deprive public sector workers the rights to form unions.
- The delay in the enactment of a fair and just labour law that adheres to international standards and conventions
- The blatant interference by the government in the internal affairs of trade unions.
- The appointment of an official preparatory committee to oversee trade union elections but only for private sector unions. This is not only an infringement on the independence of trade unions, but it is an attempt to politicize trade unions by certain political trends.
We the undersigned have agreed on the importance of working together jointly and agreed to form a coordinating committee in Basra tasked with following responsibilities:
- Stand against 1 June 2012 workers elections and reject their results. Elections that are sham and conducted behind closed doors with heavy interferences by the incumbent government and political parties. These elections are not free for workers to choose their true trade union representatives.
- To campaign (struggle) to abolish unjust labour law issued by the defunct Saddam’s dictatorship, and for the implementation of Article 22 of the Iraqi permanent constitution.
- The immediate enactment of fair and just labour law that complies with international standards and conventions and in accordance with article 14 of the permanent constitution of Iraq.
General Federation of Iraqi Workers in Basra
Federation of trade unions and workers councils in Basra
Federation of Oil Unions in Basra
General Federation of trade unions and Workers Councils in Basra
Association of Technical Engineers / South electricity sector
The head Offcie of the GFIW/ Basra
Basra –Ashar-Alsadi Street
Email: email@example.com tel 00964 7810188527 00964 7706501365